Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Favorite Subject

It is true that I have a lot of subjects. But my favorite is Vocabulary. Vocabulary is as you might know a time for learning new words. Every other Monday, I write my new vocabulary words. Some new words that I learn that I already know are 'agent' and 'cope'. But then there are words that I have never heard of like 'impunity' and 'bias'. I also have to do some exercises. They are things to help me out on my words. They might include stuff like this.

            1. Which of these can abate?
            A. Wind          C. Car
            B. A Kitty       D. A fire
            2. Christmas: presents: 4th of July: ______

            3. Mail Truck: Mail: _____: garbage

            On Wednesday, I read a story and fill in questions about it. The story includes all the vocabulary words that I used on Monday. On the next Monday, I do Lincs tables. Lincs are basically writing my vocabulary words and a reminding word. Then I write a short short short story that has to include the remaining words and that word’s vocabulary definition. Now the point of Lincs tables is to sort of learn the vocabulary and it is kind of like a test.
            Vocabulary is my favorite subject because it is interesting to learn new words. It is also cool to use them in my daily language. In fact, one of my words last week was 'lax', meaning that things were not strictly enforced. And at our middle school, you can take tests on books, but it is lax.  When my mom and I were talking about this yesterday, it was a perfect time to use that word.

2 comments:

  1. Vocabulary is a an important part of communication. The more words you know, the better you can explain to someone else what you are thinking and feeling. General terms can sometimes be confusing.

    "I feel sick." This could mean many things.
    "I feel nauseated." This tells someone that you don't feel well and it's your stomach that is bothering you, and you said it in the same number of words.

    Excellent use of lax, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I like learning new words.
    - Spencer

    ReplyDelete